Erdington is around four miles from Birmingham city centre. It spreads North to North West of the M6 motorway and the famous spaghetti junction. The constituency comprises the wards of Erdington, Tyburn, Stockland Green and Kingstanding.
Erdington was mentioned in the Domesday Book under the name Hardintone and for much of its history was part of the parish of neighbouring Aston. After a brief period as an urban district at the end of the 19th Century, it was absorbed into the growing city of Birmingham in 1911.
It was formerly home to the famous rock music venue, Mothers. The Spaghetti Junction is situated on the south-western corner of the constituency. Erdington Library was opened in 1907 as a Carnegie library.
Notable landmarks include Fort Dunlop, highly visible between junctions five and six of the M6, and now nearing the completion of a twenty year awaited redevelopment
Erdington itself borders the traditionally working class areas of Aston, Perry Barr and Hodge Hill, and the more affluent areas of Sutton Coldfield, Minworth, Castle Bromwich and Water Orton (North Warwickshire).